Open Call for the Membership of the Steering Committee (SC) to be formed within the Scope of “Civil Society Facility Turkey, Sivil Düşün-III EU Programme” (IPA/2017/387-625)
European Union Sivil Düşün Programme (SD) financed by the Delegation of the European Union to Turkey (EUD) started on the 22nd of November 2012 in order to support active citizens (activists), civil society organisations (CSOs), networks and platforms in Turkey. Third phase of SD began on the 1st of June 2018 and it will finish on the 28th of February 2020. SD-III is being conducted from Ankara.
Sivil Düşün, which has been shaped within the framework of the needs expressed during the civil society consultation processes, aims at contributing to develop civil society in Turkey through the activities stated below:
- To support civil society and citizens right-based initiatives
- To support networking and communication skills of civil society and active citizens
- To support the EUD in Turkey in raising awareness of CSOs and citizens on EU support to civil society and Human rights
The SD III Terms of Reference foresee a Steering Committee. The Steering Committee is planned to be composed of overall 20 members. Approx. 5 members will be selected from the short list formed after the open call.
The Steering Committee will meet once in every four months under the co-chairmanship of EUD and the Sivil Düşün Technical Assistance Team (TAT) and bring forward proposals to strengthen the Programme by focusing on the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation process.
The members of the Steering Committee will follow the conflict of the interest rule* to keep the transparent management structure of the Programme.
Key Functions of Sivil Düşün Steering Committee
Working procedures and principles of the Steering Committee will be agreed upon in the first meeting. Co-chairs will decide renewing Steering Committee membership based on the demands expressed during the civil society consultation processes.
Content related issues
- Providing guidance on key areas of decision-making during the implementation of the project:
- Setting and reviewing eligibility criteria of ACM,
- Ensuring the SC to be inclusive and participatory,
- Identifying the ‘gaps’ in project implementation.
- Providing advisory input to the project concerning the design of events and activities with regards to the needs expressed by CSOs and activists
- Act as ‘coach’ and ‘motivator’ for all involved in project implementation (e.g. TAT and EUD).
- Develop participatory and transparent working principle and code of conduct of SD-III SC.
- Act as bridge between the project and the local civil society actors and as two-way channel for information. (SC Members will provide necessary information and feedback regarding current trends in CSO activities, capacity needs, and plans to TAT, while TAT may use those SC Members as tool for disseminating information about project events and relevant institutional processes to civil society actors.
- The members of the SC will consult each other on matters related to progress and quality of project implementation and its changing environment, make decisions on confirmation or correction of the project’s course.
- Act as ‘watchdog’ to ensure that SD-III meets accountability standards, uses resources effectively and efficiently, adheres to its code of conduct, and that implementation follows a Rights Based Approach (as defined in the EU staff toolbox on RBA);
- Monitor progress of SD-III and make recommendations to ensure that the Programme achieves the expected outcomes and results to a high qualitative level, within the set timeframe and the available budget.
- The SC must ensure that its members collaborate throughout the implementation period and, if appropriate, recommend necessary adjustments to the Project.
- The SC will function as a coordinating body for EU funded projects in the area of Civil Society to identify potentials for synergies, while at the same time reducing the risk of duplication and overlap.
- Within the overall M&E framework for SD III, there should be some indicators that determine how to measure the success/excellence of the Steering Committee.
- The agenda for each SC meeting should include both technical aspects of the project (progress of activities, monitoring findings, coordination with other EU funded civil society programmes etc.) and thematic discussions – this means not trying to cover all aspects of implementation during every meeting, but rather focussing on specific, strategic issues.
- TAT will make a proposal for the agenda of the next SC meeting. In addition, where appropriate, external resource people (experts or representatives of target groups) will be invited to make presentations.
- The SC members will agree on the Draft Agenda at the end of each SC meeting.
- Certain SC members will be asked to prepare input or presentation on strategic issues related with their expertise. The themes may relate to certain sectors or topics (e.g. how to strengthen SD-III’s contribution to gender equality; how to contribute to mainstreaming Rights Based Approach to local development; SD-III responding appropriately to issues arising from migration) or not; how SD-III may address specific issues of national importance (e.g. polarisation/diversity, cooperation between civil society and public sector).
The call is eligible for the CSOs stated below, which are working to improve the field of civil society:
- CSOs with technical knowledge on civil society and independent or university civil society centres, think tanks, resource centres actively working on increasing the capacity of civil society;
- CSOs with strong local networks, operating on local development/ enterprise/ community improvement and have strong ties with grassroots organisations,
- Active network and platforms representing the cross-section of the sector, locations and grassroots CSOs supported by the EU in different periods,
- Previous SC members from SD-II in order to ensure continuity between SD-II and SD-III.
After the CSO members of the Steering Committee have been selected following the call, the co-chairs will invite relevant organisations contributing to the improvement of civil society, representatives (Technical Assistance Teams) of related EU funded civil society programmes as well as from the selected EU Embassies’ civil society programmes. Representatives of particular CSOs, donor organisations, which provide funds, other relevant stakeholders, activists and experts, as members or ‘watchdogs’ may also be invited. The members with watchdog/observer status cannot act as decision-makers, their roles are limited to consultative level. In line with the SD-III ToR, Representatives of the Contractor (ICE consortium) and TACSO will be SC members. TACSO’s representatives will join the SC membership, once TACSO project is re-started.
Application Process and Evaluation
The application period for the Steering Committee membership will be open between 8th October 2018 – 26th October 2018. TAT will shortlist the applications and submit to the EUD for approval. After the approval of the EUD, list of SC members will be publicised on the SD website with the aim of increasing the transparency of the SD programme.
Applications should include the following information about the organisation:
The organisations are expected to submit a letter of intent stating their founding purpose, field of study, existing practices and their approach on how they will contribute to Sivil Düşün. The letter of intent should include the names of two members/employees planned to represent the relevant organisation in SC and should be signed by the President of Board Members of the relevant organisation. Non-legal entities may apply with the consent of their decision-making bodies via letter of intent.
The applications will be made electronically to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The results will be announced on sivildusun.net website and each applicant will be informed via e-mail.
*This means that SC members cannot be ACM beneficiaries.[vc_btn title=”Please click to reach the Turkish version of the call” color=”black” size=”lg” align=”center” link=”url:http%3A%2F%2Fsivildusun.net%2Fyonlendirme-kurulu-acik-cagri%2F||target:%20_blank|”][/vc_column][/vc_row]